Thursday, August 03, 2006

Being a young MBA (from Stanford)

One of the biggest issues I find I have to deal with whilst being a business school student is being at the young(er) end of the scale relative to my peers. To cut to the chase, in general 28 year olds behave very differently to 24 year old like myself- this behavior can be amplified when in an MBA environment, especially when trying interact with a predominantly American crowd. I find that my interaction with some MBAs tends to be rough- they tend not to listen to your arguments, discount your "lack of experience" heavily like you were born yesterday- essentially treating you in disbelief. Let me just get things straight here, I am young for the typical MBA not because of a freak of nature, I happen to be 4 years younger than the average through a cumulative saving of years and a strict family who have always wanted me to put my academics/career first, in light of their high investment in my education relative to western students, I obeyed in satisfying them. When I graduated from high school and people were taking gap years for traveling, I went straight to university (1 year saved), rather than take a year to "see the world", I took a 3 year Bachelors in Engineering the UK when most take a 4 year course in Engineering in the UK and 4 years for most degrees in the US (1 year saved). I did not waste any time with regard to getting a job post graduation- within 3 months of graduation I had started my first job (allow 6 months). And then got 3 years work experience, when most MBAs get 4 years (1 year saved) in what was essentially an excellent rotational program for a prestigious technology company that was a former government R&D agency that needed young motivated individuals to span the organization fast and take on a commercial savvy approach. This breadth of experience essential gained me another half a year or so with respect to most 3 year jobs. This is all in the face of being an international (work-permit & security issues), and what I would say are fairly mediocre grades at top engineering school- I would not call myself a boy genius by any stretch, and I'm not just being modest- I once had to repeat a class in digital electronics because I failed- my parents came down on me very hard for that blip in my academics! All I am trying to say is that there are a lot of factors that contributed to me being 4 -5 years younger than normal. I just applied to the business schools that I think would value me for who I am, and I was fully aware of the business schools that would not even take a minute to evaluate my applications. If any older MBAs are reading this from schools outside Harvard and Stanford- please, don't discount younger MBAs simply for their age- take time to get to know them, we may not bring what is classified as "normal" b-school career paths- some schools value a diverse student body- if you meet qualifying requirements and can contribute to the educational process and experience for the student body AND HAVE LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL, why not an MBA? The world of "time served" to earn a promotion has largely gone any place that has that kind of value system will not see the likes of Mbwana- I'll always navigate away from that no matter what- and explains my success in where I am now relative for my age now. Socially this can create some difficulties, it means that I tend to have two age levels of friends- friends who are 27-31 year old who respect me for who I am, in and outside the MBA, and I friends who are my age. Nevertheless, the two groups do behave differently and I end up being middle of the road, perceived or maybe even actually coming across as immature to the MBA crowd, and almost no fun or too career minded to my age peers who are just getting used to their first corporate jobs.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

well..thats just something you will have to accept...the wise ones will see the true you..and the others who dont...do you really care about them?
what you speak about is basically discrimination...and it happens...everyday...based on race...religion..sex...and even age (wait till you hear about the complaints of people with too much experience in the work environment)...
venting like this might perhaps be useful to get rid of your frustrations...but it also lets others see your key weakness and that might not be a bright idea in a public forum !

Anonymous said...

It is true that one would feel alienate or neglected when the work exp is less.And it makes me ever wonder that when it comes to defining leadership no one mentions the age but the skills one possess and still in real world young generation is always given the least priority.

Anonymous said...

i found your blog through clearadmit which i found through businessweek -- your blog is honest and relevant and truly interesting. as an american and having gone to stanford undergrad (and applying this fall for '07 gsb!) i love reading about your perspective. congrats on all you've accomplished in your 24 years =) i guess, from reading your experience of the first year, that i will definitely be just as busy and then some as i was 4 years ago if i EVER possibly have the chance to be a stanford student again. hope so =)

The Magic of Chen said...

An Interesting Piece! Young Man! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Mbwana,
Great post there!

Keep up the good work and all the best for the 2nd year.


Sincerely,
Gautam.

Unknown said...

Hey Mbwana,
Great post there!

Keep up the good work and all the best for the 2nd year.


Sincerely,
Gautam.

Unknown said...

Hey Mbwana,
Great post there!

Keep up the good work and all the best for the 2nd year.


Sincerely,
Gautam.

Anonymous said...

Goodness. It sounds like some of us old fogeys have put a bee in your bonnet about your age. And may have questioned your right to be here. Sorry to hear it. I value your experience and voice, Mbwana.

Curious to know where you are in the birth order among your siblings. Being a youngest child, I've been privy to a similar "discount" all of my life, and as a result get the benefit of the rich experience of my elders and a chance to see the world through my own eyes, too. It's a privilege.

I would challenge that it's not so much time served, but life lived. I've observed that there's something that happened somewhere in my twenties when I finally figured out how much space I take up. So much of this back and forth with older and younger peers is about figuring that out with and among ourselves.

Why begrudge each other that?

Anonymously posting questions and challenges to your blog is a novelty for me, and blogging etiquette demands that I not expect a response, and I don't. That said, I am along with you on this journey, and I support your discovery and reflection.

I don't want to contribute to a dynamic where you as a blogger need season your prose with your audience and me in mind. But I wanted to share my perspective with you.

Unknown said...

Good to read about your perspective. It is surely not very different from mine -I guarantee you that. I completed my MBA from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY at the age of 23. I have a Bachelor's in Electronics Engg with undergraduate research experience. The first semester in the MBA was harsh -people tend to judge too fast. But, the remainder was a blur. I took on team leadership of all the teams I was on and took them on a whirlwind tour of top quality reports, presentations, commitment and grades. After that, I gained all the respect I needed. Good luck to you in pulling that off as well.

ipoel said...

love this post :) I actually heard a similar comment about their Stanford MBA experience being a younger student from www.mbapodcaster.com

ipoel said...

waitaminute.. you are that person the podcast aren't ya??

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience being only 24 and having just completed my MBA earlier this year. All I have to say about that is, I feel ya, it is easy to be a young MBA and leave with a chip on your shoulder, which is something you will need to avoid doing in the industry space.

Also nice job with search optimization techniques. Your blog was the first thing I saw.

Anonymous said...

These people might be trying to put you down intentionally regardless of the quality of your opinions and ideas (i.e. competition). One has to find the fine balance point between presenting themselves with confidence and assertiveness, and being open to criticism - the only path to improvement.

Personally, I think anyone who disrespects others' opinions on grounds of prejudice is losing a lot. A considerable benefit of any good MBA program comes from the rare chance one gets to interact with the myriad of different talents and personalities assembled there for two years.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Great Post!
I have a business degree and an MBA at 23 years old. I got in to the MBA with experiance I gained by working through highschool/uni. I found at the start some people judged but when they found what I have had experiance in they were very impressed and treated me as if I was in my mid 30's.

I am finding now that the headhunters are the people who are having a hard time around my age and experiance/qualifications. any tips? one finding a post MBA position at a young age.

mcdonoughconsulting@gmail.com

cheers,

Anonymous said...

I completely relate to this blog. I just graduated last week with my MBA at 24... and I always get the 'wow' and the 'pat on the back'. Wow, for being so impressive 'at my age'. Pat on the back, 'you're certainly our second choice! we'll let you know!'. It's extremely frustrating, but I've actually turned my age to my advantage. Even with an MBA my age allows me to still apply to internships and development programs. I just got an internship at a great company that turned me down for a full-time job. In 3 months maybe I'll have the same job I was turned down for.

Have to do the best you can!