Saturday, January 27, 2007

Game over, Microsoft here I come...

So its time to break the news- I have signed on with Microsoft for a full-time role as a product manager in the Office Enterprise division where I interned last summer. Without going deep into the factors that made me decide, I will say that lifestyle made was a major influence in the decision:

Factors considered:
- I am passionate and have always loved technology- and the opportunity to marry this up with business in an organization that is balanced in engineering vs marketing.
- Ability to move around not only core software, but emerging media and consumer electronics product areas.
- Work with truly smart, driven, diverse people not only composed of type A personalities.
- Seattle area as an emerging areas for non-profits (another passionate area)- I will be able to give back to communities, including work on Africa related projects.
- Seattle as a great area to live, yet not quite being too far away from Silicon Valley and rest of California.


My life at business school has now changed! No more recruiting has opened me up to do a lot more within the GSB community. I am also spending considerable time building relationships with entrepreneurs in the valley.

3 comments:

Paadhiyogi said...

HI Mbwana, Wish you great luck and happiness at Microsoft. I have some questions for you. Being at Stanford gives you access to so many things - the obvious ones and the not-so obvious ones. What are the events/ courses/social activities,etc that helped you/ impressed you at Stanford? I have read the course list, bass seminar stuff from the website. There are surely other stuff that go unwritten, can u elaborate on them?
Also, if someone wants to start a tech start-up, how all does the college facilitate you? Do you have easy access to VCs and people who can solidify your business idea? What kind of boost does one get, studying at Stanford? I would be very pleased if you find time to blog abt these. Thanks,Subha (from India)

Doug Williams said...

Congratulations Mbwana!

Mbwana, Hongera, sana!

Doug

Mbwana said...

Yes, yes and yes! Sorry for the late reply. But you have unbelievable opportunities to connect to all that is mentioned through professors, guests in class and not mention many highly qualified in entrepreneurship classmates who can assist you more informally.