Thursday, April 05, 2007

Visa woes continue...

It looks like I was right to be if a little worried about my visa status going forward- particularly on the H1-B application front. Apparently 150,000 applications were received with a cap limit of 60,000. So there's a 60% chance of not getting the H1-B status. At least the Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows a Master's student to work for a year following graduation, is going well- got a biometric interview tomorrow at 10am for that, which means missing class- I hate missing class!

3 comments:

Clear Admit said...

Hi Mbwana! As you may have seen in our blog earlier today, your blog has been nominated for Clear Admit's annual Best of Blogging Awards. You can find more information about the contest and a complete list of the nominees at http://blog.clearadmit.com/2007/04/best-of-blogging-nominees-2007/.

Input from the nominees is a key part of establishing the final ranking, so we'd love to have you participate. If you're interested in voting, simply email us at bestofblogging@clearadmit.com to receive a ballot.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
the Clear Admit team

Anonymous said...

Mbwana,

I've been following your blog for a while, but commenting for the first time. As far as the H1B cap goes, there is also a 20,000 "separate" H1-B pool for students who have a degree from an American university and you might qualify for that.

just thought I'd let you know.

Disclaimer: Of course, I'm no lawyer (and never played on TV).

Mbwana said...

Yeah- I heard, but I won't earn my MBA until June 16th- hence this will apply for me next year, and so will miss this year's quota. Thanks for the tip.