Monday, May 23, 2005

First contact with future Stanford classmates- Accomplished & diverse

After spending 3 straight weekends away this month, I was reluctant to spend a 4th weekend away, especially for yet another trip to London. But I could not miss the chance to meet up with future Stanford classmates based in the UK especially at a BBQ setting. So on Saturday morning I resisted the temptation for my first quiet weekend this month, after all, the weather outlook by late afternoon was not bad- an improvement to the intermittent rain and sunshine we’ve been having. After taking some time to help my musical friend with designing a CD cover and website, I headed down to south London for the BBQ. I’d already briefly coincidentally met Vernon, who works at Barclays Capital on my first attempt of the GMAT back in late September, but was eager to meet the others. So to cut to the chase, what were they all like? Apart from being predictably accomplished they were such a diverse bunch! At a gathering of no more than 8 future Stanford MBA students it was just amazing to find the diversity of background and career. A doctor, an international development worker,a teacher plus a consultant and 3 bankers. There were 4 women, all very bright, accomplished and nice. The conversation was flowing and when things started to slow, a charades type game was just what we needed to liven things up and get things back on track. One noticeable aspect was the competitive spirit of the Americans during the game, all harmless fun of course, but warning signs of the competitive mentally to come in business school. In the end Vernon and myself ended up at the local nightclub, which was cool, as we got a chance to really chat, while the others called it an early night.
My perception of what they all thought of me? Hard to tell. Aside from the usual questions probing into my background etc, they were probably more impressed if anything with how I’d managed to perfect my English accent despite my very strong connections with Tanzania. I was glad to hear that the accent will be a big hit with the girls(that’s coming from one of the American women!). One last thing, the energy and excitement in looking forward to the next two years in California, Stanford was deeply present in everyone, we all felt extremely lucky- it’s going to be amazing!
I think this initial gathering was important, especially since I had not been to Admit Weekend. Of those at the BBQ who had gone to Admit Weekend, they confirmed that majority who were there were deciding between different schools. I’m going to keep in touch with this lot and our bond will strengthen over the next month with more get togethers in planning, although I’m not a big fan of cliques, it seems from the Stanford message boards, these sort of gatherings are happening in New York, Los Angeles and other major cities. So geographic cliques are inevitably being formed.

No comments: