Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Prestige of an MBA vs law degree (JD)

I caught the tail end of quite an aggressive discussion on the businessweek forums yesterday- Law (JDs) vs MBAs. This caught my attention since I had just spent the weekend with an undergrad friend of mine in Bristol who is a trainee lawyer and we often discussed our work, in addition, I seem to hang around and have many friends in the legal profession, I even have and a sister who works in law.

Prestige factor, I tend to respect lawyers a lot more from the perspective of work they do, they seem to put in a huge amount of hours and have even heard of some big city firms even having beds for some of those staying late night and continuing to work early the next morning! I respect anyone who can cope in such an environment regardless of pay. As for the degree itself, there seems to be vastly more courses available in the law degree, particularly the US, and hence the 3 year long course. It certainly fairs better than the MBA in terms of intellectual stimulation.
However, I tend to find law very dull as far as job satisfaction and variety is concerned- the friends I have here in the UK seem to spend most of their time drafting documents, writing letters rather than getting in on the action of the courtroom. I know in the states, lawyers will prepare cases and go to court, whilst in the UK the two functions are separated into solicitor (who litigates) and lawyer (drafts cases). I find the US model much more exciting.
In comparison with the MBA, there is one striking difference between the two degrees; the sheer amount of job variety the MBA offers. No one would argue against the fact that it opens more doors to more careers across more borders than anything else. However, lawyers with great leadership skills can enter politics and make a great impact and be well on the road to becoming the next president or prime minister rather than MBAs. The JD/MBAs would be a powerful combination, but far too much work for the likes of me. In my current plans, I’ll probably take a few courses at the Stanford Law School related to intellectual property (IP), since in my current high-tech job we always seem to be having issues related to IP on a regular basis.

I do need to say something about my core discipline. Engineering s*cks as far as prestige goes these days, especially in the UK. As a natural engineer, I wish I was born in the 1800s during the industrial revolution, in the days of Isambard Kingdom Brunel- the pioneer of mass public transport, in particular the railroad/railways. Those were the days, engineers where highly respected. In my weekend in Bristol, I still couldn’t stop but marvel at Brunel’s classic- The Clifton Suspension Bridge. Somehow the British don’t seem to appreciate technological advance as much as they used to- maybe it’s due to decline of manufacturing in this country. At least in the US, a background in engineering still holds some prestige factor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks!
Thats quite the eye opener. I can pretty much get into Brandeis as long as I don't drool too much on my GMAT. Though I want to give the LSAT a go and try for the coveted split JD/MBA. Anyone else here willing to offer sage advice?

steve.marz@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Don't go to law school.
I wish I had entered an MBA program instead.
MBA will earn you as much as if not more money than being a lawyer, you finish school in half the time and you don't have to worry about passing some stupid bar exam at the end of it.
I'm in my 3rd year of law and I am still wondering if I want to be a lawyer.

Anonymous said...

I went to law school for 1 year, did relatively well (3.2 GPA) and didn't return. Now I'm doing my MBA instead. I liked the intellectual aspect of Law, but the practice is MUCH different. After working for a firm over the summer and seeing what was in store, I cut and run pretty quickly. Plus, I never really "wanted" to be a lawyer, I just thought law school would be a logical place to go after getting a BA in philosophy, plus I had no job prospects at the time. 2 very bad reasons to spend $16,000 to not get a degree.

So, I'm doing an MBA instead. While Law school was more intellectually challenging, the MBA offers SO many choices of fields to go into. It has been pretty eye opening for me. True, getting a law degree isn't a bad thing for your job prospects. But, if you're like me who didn't even want to be a lawyer, much less know how I would apply a law degree outside the field of law, then maybe the MBA is best.

Sometimes I regret quitting law school but then I think back at how lost I felt there and how I dreaded graduating and trying to get a job at a firm or market myself as a non-lawyer with a law degree.

Anonymous said...

Law Schools in the U.S. are the worst. They only accept hot women that eventually sleep their way to the top.

If someone wants to study law, go to the UK or Australia. You can also get an LLB/MBA or JD/MBA in respectively in those countries.

smith said...

This post is informative. I very much look forward to read this post. I've always wanted to speak to a couple people who got their law degrees from an online school of law to see how their
experience of studying law differed from mine - I went to a brick & mortar uni - and have always been interested in the
online study experience.

law degree courses